Sternberg | Forsythe, PA, is a law firm that specializes in representing individuals injured in work-related falls from heights. Falling from heights is one of the most common workplace accidents and can result in severe injuries or even death. Workers’ who perform tasks at elevated heights, such as construction workers’, roofers, and window washers, are particularly at risk of falling.
At Sternberg | Forsythe, PA, we understand the devastating impact a fall from a height can have on a person’s physical and financial life. Our team of experienced attorneys has a proven track record of successfully representing clients in cases involving work-related falls from heights. We work tirelessly to ensure our clients receive the compensation they deserve for their injuries, medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a work-related fall from a height, it is important to seek legal representation as soon as possible. Our attorneys are ready to help you navigate the complex legal process and fight for your rights. Contact Sternberg | Forsythe, PA, today to schedule a free consultation and learn more about how we can assist you in your case.
Statistics About Work-Related Fall Incidents in Florida
If you fall while working, you may sustain minor or more serious injuries. Unfortunately, this accident is extremely common in Florida.
Some shocking accident statistics related to work-related fall accidents include:
- According to the Florida Department of Health, falls from heights are the leading cause of death in the construction industry in Florida, accounting for 48% of all construction fatalities.
- In 2019, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) reported 60 fatalities in Florida due to falls from elevation. Of those, 31 were in the construction industry.
- According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, in 2019, there were 1,230 nonfatal falls with days away from work in Florida. Of those, 410 were due to falls from roofs, ladders, and scaffolds.
- The construction industry had the highest number of fatal and nonfatal falls in Florida, followed by the transportation and warehousing industry.
Common Causes of Fall from Heights Accidents in Florida
There are many potential causes of fall from heights accidents in Florida. Here are some of the most common causes:
- Lack of fall protection: The most common cause of fall from heights accidents is inadequate fall protection. Employers are required by law to provide appropriate safety equipment, such as harnesses, guardrails, and safety nets to protect workers’ from falling.
- Improper use of fall protection: Even when fall protection equipment is provided, workers’ may still be at risk if they don’t use it properly. This could include failing to secure a harness properly, not wearing appropriate footwear, or not following proper procedures for setting up scaffolding or ladders.
- Unsafe working conditions: Worksites cluttered, poorly maintained, or inadequate lighting can create hazardous conditions that increase the risk of falls.
- Human error: Sometimes, falls occur due to human error, such as misjudging the distance between a worker and the edge of a roof or not paying attention while working at height.
- Inadequate training: Workers’ not properly trained in fall prevention techniques may not know how to use safety equipment correctly or may be unaware of potential hazards.
- Weather conditions: Rain, wind, and other adverse weather conditions can create slippery surfaces or make it difficult to see hazards, increasing the risk of falls.
- Equipment failure: Equipment such as ladders or scaffolding can sometimes fail, causing workers’ to fall.
Employers must work to prevent falls from heights and ensure that workers’ are properly trained and equipped to work at heights safely.
Injuries Caused by Work-Related Fall From Heights in Florida
Work-related falls from heights can result in a wide range of injuries, some of which can be life-threatening or permanent. In Florida, common injuries caused by work-related falls from heights include:
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBI): Falls from heights can result in severe head injuries, including TBIs, which can have long-lasting effects on a person’s cognitive and physical abilities.
- Spinal cord injuries: Falls from heights can also result in spinal cord injuries, which can lead to paralysis, loss of sensation, and other long-term disabilities.
- Fractures: Falls from heights can cause fractures to various parts of the body, including the arms, legs, hips, and spine.
- Soft tissue injuries: Soft tissue injuries, such as bruises, sprains, and strains, are also common in falls from heights.
- Internal injuries: Falls from heights can cause internal injuries, such as internal bleeding, organ damage, and collapsed lungs.
- Death: In the most severe cases, falls from heights can result in death.
These injuries can have significant physical, emotional, and financial impacts on workers’ and their families.
Steps to Recover Workers’ Compensation Benefits After a Fall from Height Accident
If you’ve been injured in a work-related fall from heights accident in Florida, you may be entitled to workers’ compensation benefits. Here are the steps to recover those benefits:
- Report the injury: It’s important to report the injury to your employer immediately after the accident. You should provide a detailed description of the accident and your injuries.
- Seek medical attention: You should seek medical attention immediately after the accident. For those who feel fine, you are still recommended to be evaluated by a medical professional. This will create a record of your injuries, which will be important when filing a workers’ compensation claim.
- File a workers’ compensation claim: You can file a workers’ compensation claim with your employer or insurance carrier. This claim should include information about the accident, your injuries, and your medical treatment.
- Wait for the determination: Your employer or insurance carrier will investigate your claim and determine whether you are entitled to workers’ compensation benefits. If your claim is accepted, you will receive benefits to cover your medical expenses and a portion of your lost wages.
- Appeal if necessary: You can appeal the decision if your claim is denied. An experienced workers’ compensation attorney can help you navigate the appeals process and fight for your right to benefits.
Florida’s workers’ compensation system can be complex, and it’s not always easy to recover the benefits you deserve. If you’ve been injured in a fall from heights accident at work, it’s important to speak with an experienced attorney who can guide you through the process and help you get the compensation you need to recover.
Our Legal Team Can Help You Recover the Workers’ Compensation Benefits You Deserve
Sternberg | Forsythe, PA, is a dedicated law firm helping individuals injured in work-related falls from heights in Florida. Falls from heights can cause severe injuries that can have long-lasting impacts on a person’s life, including physical, emotional, and financial damages. Our attorneys at Sternberg | Forsythe, PA, have the experience and knowledge to help clients navigate the complex workers’ compensation system and obtain the benefits they deserve.
If you or a loved one has been involved in a fall from heights accident at work, seeking legal representation as soon as possible is important. Our law firm offers free consultations to help clients understand their legal options and determine the best course of action for their cases. With a proven track record of success, the firm is committed to fighting for its clients’ rights and helping them recover from their injuries.
Don’t hesitate to contact Sternberg | Forsythe, PA, to schedule a free consultation and learn more about how they can assist you in your fall from heights workers’ compensation case.