Rear-end car accidents can cause serious injuries and property damage, and they happen more frequently than we think.
According to the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles, there were over 50,000 rear-end crashes in Florida in 2020, resulting in over 35,000 injuries and 300 fatalities. If you or a loved one has been involved in a rear-end collision in West Palm Beach, you need experienced and knowledgeable legal representation to help you pursue the compensation you deserve.
At Sternberg | Forsythe, PA, our West Palm Beach rear-end car accident lawyers have the skills, resources, and dedication to handle even the most complex cases. We are committed to protecting the rights and interests of our clients and helping them recover the maximum compensation available under the law. This article will discuss the key aspects of rear-end car accidents in West Palm Beach and how our lawyers can help you through the legal process.
Common Causes of Rear-End Car Accidents
Rear-end car accidents occur when one vehicle collides with the back of another vehicle. These accidents can happen for various reasons, including:
- Distracted driving: Drivers who are texting, talking on the phone, eating, or using other electronic devices can easily miss the traffic in front of them and cause a rear-end collision.
- Tailgating: Drivers who follow too closely to the vehicle in front of them may not have enough time to stop or maneuver in case of sudden stops or obstacles.
- Speeding: Drivers who exceed the speed limit or drive too fast for the current road conditions may be unable to slow down or stop in time to avoid a collision.
- Faulty brakes: Vehicles with malfunctioning or poorly maintained brakes can cause rear-end collisions, especially in heavy traffic or on steep hills.
- Weather conditions: Rain, fog, ice, or other weather events can reduce visibility, traction, and braking power, making rear-end collisions more likely.
Common Injuries Seen in Rear-End Car Accidents
Rear-end car accidents can cause many injuries, some of which may be severe or even life-threatening.
Some of the most common injuries seen in these types of accidents include the following:
- Whiplash: This soft tissue injury affects the neck and upper back. It occurs when the head is suddenly jolted forward and backward, causing the muscles, ligaments, and tendons to stretch and tear. Symptoms of whiplash include neck pain, stiffness, headaches, dizziness, and fatigue.
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI): This type of head injury occurs when a blow or jolt to the head damages the brain. In a rear-end car accident, the head may hit the steering wheel, dashboard, or seat or be violently shaken inside the skull. Symptoms of TBI can range from mild (such as headaches and confusion) to severe (such as coma and permanent disability).
- Spinal cord injury (SCI): This type of injury affects the nerves that run along the spine and transmit messages between the brain and the body. In a rear-end car accident, the spinal cord may be compressed, stretched, or severed by the force of the impact or by broken bones or other objects. SCI can result in partial or complete paralysis, loss of sensation, and other serious complications.
- Fractures and dislocations: These are common injuries in rear-end car accidents, especially in the wrists, arms, legs, and ankles. The impact of the collision can cause the bones to break, crack, or shift out of their normal positions, requiring surgery, immobilization, and physical therapy to heal.
- Internal injuries: These are injuries to the organs and tissues inside the body, such as the lungs, liver, spleen, or kidneys. In a rear-end car accident, the internal organs may be bruised, lacerated, or punctured by broken bones, objects, or impact force. Internal injuries can be life-threatening and require immediate medical attention.
If you have been injured in a rear-end car accident, it is important to seek medical treatment immediately, even if you do not feel pain or discomfort right away. Some injuries may not manifest until hours, days, or weeks after the accident, and delaying treatment can worsen their severity and decrease your chances of recovery. Additionally, seeking medical attention creates a record of your injuries, which can be useful in a legal claim for compensation.
Liability and Damages in Rear-End Car Accidents
In Florida, the driver who rear-ends another vehicle is usually considered at fault for the accident, as they must maintain a safe distance and speed to avoid collisions.
However, there are exceptions to this rule, such as when the front vehicle suddenly and unexpectedly changes lanes, reverses, or stops without proper signaling or in a dangerous manner. In these cases, the front vehicle may share some of the fault for the collision, and the damages may be divided according to each party’s degree of negligence.
If you have been injured in a rear-end car accident in West Palm Beach, you may be entitled to various types of damages, such as:
- Medical expenses: This includes the cost of your initial treatment, hospitalization, surgery, medication, rehabilitation, and any future medical needs related to your injuries.
- Lost income: If your injuries prevent you from working or earning your usual wages, you may recover compensation for your lost income and benefits, including future earning capacity.
- Property damage: This covers the cost of repairing or replacing your vehicle and any personal items damaged or lost in the accident.
- Pain and suffering: This refers to the physical pain, emotional distress, and other non-economic losses you have suffered as a result of the accident, such as anxiety, depression, or loss of enjoyment of life.
How Our West Palm Beach Rear-End Car Accident Lawyers Can Help You
At Sternberg | Forsythe, PA, we understand the challenges and stress of a rear-end car accident. Our West Palm Beach car accident lawyers have the experience and knowledge to handle all aspects of your case, including:
- Investigation: We will gather and analyze all the available evidence related to your accident, such as police reports, witness statements, medical records, and photographs of the scene and vehicles. We will also consult accident reconstruction experts and other professionals to determine liability and damages.
- Negotiation: We will communicate with the insurance companies and other parties involved in the accident on your behalf, seeking a fair and reasonable settlement that covers all your losses and future needs. If necessary, we will take your case to court and present a compelling case to a judge and jury.
- Advocacy: We will represent your best interests throughout the legal process, ensuring your rights are protected, and your voice is heard. We will keep you informed of any developments in your case and answer any questions or concerns you may have.
- Compassion: We understand the emotional toll that a rear-end car accident can have on you and your family, and we will treat you with empathy, respect, and kindness. We will strive to minimize your stress and anxiety and help you focus on your recovery.
Why Choose Sternberg | Forsythe, PA for Your West Palm Beach Rear-End Car Accident Case?
Choosing the right West Palm Beach rear-end car accident lawyer can make a significant difference in the outcome of your case. At Sternberg | Forsythe, PA, we are proud to offer our clients the following:
- Experience: Our attorneys have decades of experience handling rear-end car accident cases and other personal injury claims. We have a proven track record of success and have recovered millions of dollars for our clients.
- Knowledge: We stay up-to-date with the latest laws, regulations, and court decisions related to personal injury and car accidents in Florida. We use our knowledge to build strong and effective legal strategies for our clients.
- Personalized attention: We understand that every client and every case is unique. We will listen to your story, understand your goals and concerns, and tailor our approach to meet your needs and preferences.
- Accessibility: We are available 24/7 to answer your questions and provide updates on your case. Depending on your preference and convenience, we will also meet with you in person, over the phone, or via videoconference.
Contact Our West Palm Beach Rear-End Car Accident Lawyers Today
If you or a loved one has been involved in a rear-end car accident in West Palm Beach, do not hesitate to contact Sternberg | Forsythe, PA, for legal assistance. We offer a free initial consultation and work on a contingency fee basis, which means you do not pay any upfront fees or costs unless we recover compensation for you.
Our West Palm Beach rear-end car accident lawyers are ready to help you navigate the legal process and fight for your rights and interests. Call us today at (561) 687-5660 or complete our online contact form to schedule a consultation.