Apply for West Palm Beach Social Security Disability Benefits
Individuals who suffer from depression may be able to receive supplemental security income (SSI) if the psychological condition is so severe that it prevents them from working or living normal lives. However, because depression is not as obvious as other more visible, physical conditions, individuals seeking to secure SSI benefits for depression need to be able to prove that their depression:
- severely limits daily activities, including those of social functioning, concentrating and meeting financial obligations,
- is accompanied by repeated episodes of low energy of extended duration or intensity, and
- has been documented for at least two years by a certified mental health professional, whose reports indicate that you suffer from repeated relapses, have other severe physical or psychological diseases or are unable to function without supervision for at least the next year.
Furthermore, your symptoms must be deemed sufficiently debilitating before you can be eligible for SSI benefits. According to official documentation, you must suffer from at least four of the following symptoms on a regular and significant basis:
- Generalized loss of interest in nearly every activity
- Decreased energy
- Development of involuntary habits including pacing, nail-biting, hair-pulling or wringing of hands
- Sleep disturbances
- Weight change and appetite disturbance
- Difficulty thinking and concentrating
- Suicidal thoughts
- Irrational feelings of worthlessness or guilt
- Delusional, paranoid or hallucinatory thinking
How to Get Social Security Benefits for Depression?
If you meet these criteria, you will have proven that your depression keeps you from being able to hold down a job and secure necessary income to meet your needs. You will be able to receive supplemental security income, which provides a reasonable living wage while you receive treatment.
You should call our office if you believe that you meet these criteria but are not sure. We can help you determine if you are able to secure SSI benefits, and we can help to walk you through the process of doing so.