An Overview of Florida Workers Compensation Laws
Workers Compensation is a system for handling claims by employees who suffer work-related injuries or occupational diseases. The system provides that employees be guaranteed payment of benefits through workers compensation insurance without having to prove their employer was at fault in the cause of the injury. However, injured workers give up their right to sue their employer in court in exchange for this state mandated benefit. Workers comp cases are often quite complex, but the Broward and Palm Beach County workers compensation attorneys at the law firm of Scott J. Sternberg & Associates, P.A. are dedicated to helping guide clients through the system.
Who is covered by workers compensation?
Certain employers are required to carry workers compensation insurance, either through an insurer or through self-insurance, including:
- Employers in an industry other than construction, with four or more full or part-time employees
- Employers in the construction industry with one or more employees
- State or local government employers
- Farmers with more than five regular employees and 12 seasonal agricultural workers who work 30 days or more
There are certain exceptions to these rules, such as for sole proprietors and independent contractors. A Pompano Beach and Delray workers compensation attorney can help you find out if you are covered by workers compensation, or if you or your employer falls under an exception.
Workers Compensation benefits
Our workers comp attorneys understand that many injured workers depend on the receipt of their benefits, which is why we strive to maximize the benefits our clients obtain. Types of workers comp benefits available in Florida include:
- Medical benefits, including authorized, medically necessary doctor and specialist visits, hospitalization, treatment, physical therapy, tests, prescription drugs, and prostheses
- Mileage reimbursement for travel to medical treatment
- Lost wages
- Temporary total disability benefits
- Temporary partial disability
- Impairment benefits
- Permanent total disability benefits
- Death benefits, including funeral expenses and Compensation to surviving spouses and dependents
Contact Scott J. Sternberg & Associates, P.A. for workers comp assistance
Our Delray and Pompano Beach workers compensation lawyers are fully committed to giving workers comp clients the help they need. By utilizing our 15 years of experience and staying abreast of changing workers comp laws, we help injured clients obtain the benefits they deserve. Contact Scott J. Sternberg & Associates, P.A. online or at 561.459.2483 today for a consultation.
We offer evening and weekend appointments in our offices in Palm Beach County, Martin County, and Orlando.